Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Stash bust with Fingerless Gloves

I love stash busting and Fingerless gloves or hand warmers are a great way to do just that and make something useful as well.
SIBOL have  decided to make some hand warmers along with blankets and shawls so I dug out my patterns and started knitting.
These were so easy to make and adding the second colour really brought the pattern out nicely.
Easy Patterned Hand warmers

These are easy to make as well and a bit bigger than the others so would be fine for a slightly larger hand.
Again I used two colours making the gloves look a little different.
Waffle stitch warmers

These are a little different they have a lace pattern in them but still easy to get on and off and a little more feminine still nice and easy to knit though.
Argentate Glovelettes

 I wanted to knit a pair of warmers for men as well and some men have large hands, as I was looking through my patterns I realised that most of them were for small to medium sized hands.
My husband has large hands and I wanted a pattern that would fit a larger hand so the hunt was on. I eventually found a pattern that would be just right the only problem was it had thumb and finger holes. Why was that a problem?
Well some people have problems with arthritis that causes their fingers to be bent or other conditions that make it difficult to get their fingers through the holes. So I put on my thinking cap and came up with a way to alter the pattern so it would make a hand warmer that was easy to get on.

The pattern I found was here Mission to Seafarers  their patterns are here on   Seafarers patterns  scroll down and you will find the fingerless glove pattern. Reading the pattern I realised I would need to decrease the number of stitches to make the glove look right.

These are the handwarmers I made for a larger hand
This is what I did to make these hand warmers.

Yarn DK I used main colour (MC) and a contrasting colour (CC)
Needles: 3mm and 3.75mm

CO 50 stitches on 3mm needles and work 20 rows rib k1 p1 across every row
Change to 3.75 needles
Row 1 Knit
Row 2 Purl
 You will now start to increase the number of stitches.

 Note: If you are using MC and CC you will increase on the CC knit row every time.

How to M1 How to increase with M1

Row 3 K26, M1, K1, M1, K23
Now work 3 rows stocking stitch

Row 7 K26, M1, K3, M1,K23
Work 3 rows stocking stitch

Row 11 K26, M1, K5, M1, K23
Work 3 rows stocking stitch

Row 15 K26, M1, K7, M1,K23
 Work 3 rows stocking stitch

Row 19 K26, M1, K9, M1, K23
 Work 3 rows stocking stitch

Row 23 K26, M1, K11,M1, K23
You should now have 62 stitches on your needle

 Row 24 Purl
Now stocking stitch for two rows.

You will now start to decrease but this time you will decrease on every knit row

Row 27 K26, K2tog, K11, K2tog, Knit to end of row

Row 28 Purl

Row 29 K26, K2tog, K9, K2tog, Knit to end of row

Row 30 Purl

Row 31 K26, K2tog, K7, K2tog, Knit to end of row

Row 32 Purl

Row 33 K26, K2tog, K5, K2tog, Knit to end of row

Row 34 Purl
You will now have 54 stitches on your needle

Now work 2 rows of rib K1, P1 across each row
BO in rib

Fold the glove in half right sides together sew in any tails and sew up the side seam leaving a space for the thumb. I sewed up the rib at the bottom to the top of the rib section and fastened off,  then I sewed from the top down. I measured just over two inches for this leaving a 3 inch hole for the thumb.
Do the same with the second glove and you have a pair of hand warmers that will fit a larger hand.

No doubt a more experienced knitter would be able to shape the glove in a different way, but this was the only way I could see to do it and still maintain the shape I needed.
These fit my husbands hand so I know that if a gentleman has large hands they should fit him as well.

Just in case you wonder why I leave a large space in my pattern instructions I do it so that if you want yo copy the pattern you will be able to see the row instructions easily. I sometimes copy and paste a pattern and increase the line spacing as I can end up reading the wrong row and that can be annoying, so I like a double space whenever possible.






 


2 comments:

  1. Lovely gloves Paula, that's a great idea for Sibol I hadn't seen that, I will have to make some too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ever so much! These are superb!
    Love Sue x

    ReplyDelete